For over 100 years, the OPA has been dedicated to preserving and enhancing the ecological health of West Okoboji Lake and the entire Great Lakes watershed. Since its founding in 1905, the OPA has built a record of success in a variety of ways:
- We helped to write the first fish and game laws in Iowa. Almost a century later, we helped draft the first laws to monitor and prevent the spread of invasive species.
- We led in the development of the Great Lakes Sanitary Sewer District, eliminating human waste as the most serious threat to the quality of the lakes.
- We initiated the first watershed study of the lakes in 1960s.
- Since the 1970s, we’ve partnered with the Iowa DNR to support wetland restoration.
- We are a founding member of the Dickinson County Clean Water Alliance (CWA).
- We have supported the Iowa Lakeside Laboratory and Friends of Lakeside Lab in the establishment of a water quality lab and a volunteer water quality monitoring program.
- We raised over $700,000 to fund the installation of an electric fish barrier to prevent the migration of invasive fish into the lakes.
- We’ve helped to introduce Low Impact Development (LID) to the Lakes area by supporting the installation of an environmentally friendly parking lot in historic Arnold’s Park and partnering with the CWA to provide a year-long series of workshops on the benefits of this and other LID techniques.
To achieve our goals, the OPA uses a variety of methods, focusing on partnering with other, similarly minded organizations in the Lakes Area, providing education, and encouraging stewardship of our lakes. Please join us in our continuing efforts to protect the lakes.
CENTURY COTTAGES OF WEST LAKE OKOBOJI
This project recognizes and celebrates West Lake cottages that have been maintained and enjoyed for a century or more. We believe homeowners who work to preserve and maintain these historic cottages are contributing to low-impact development, which helps maintain good water quality.
THE OPA IS COMPOSED OF VOLUNTEERS DEDICATED TO PRESERVING THE LAKES FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS. PLEASE JOIN US.
Regular annual membership in the Okoboji Protective Association is $35.00. Membership entitles you to receive all OPA mailings, attend the annual OPA meeting, and network with environmentally aware residents of the Iowa Great Lakes area like yourself.