For over 100 years, the OPA has been dedicated to preserving and enhancing the ecological health of West Okoboji Lake and the entire Great Lakes watershed. Since its founding in 1905, the OPA has built a record of success in a variety of ways:
- We helped to write the first fish and game laws in Iowa. Almost a century later, we helped draft the first laws to monitor and prevent the spread of invasive species.
- We led in the development of the Great Lakes Sanitary Sewer District, eliminating human waste as the most serious threat to the quality of the lakes.
- We initiated the first watershed study of the lakes in 1960s.
- Since the 1970s, we’ve partnered with the Iowa DNR to support wetland restoration.
- We are a founding member of the Dickinson County Clean Water Alliance (CWA).
- We have supported the Iowa Lakeside Laboratory and Friends of Lakeside Lab in the establishment of a water quality lab and a volunteer water quality monitoring program.
- We raised over $700,000 to fund the installation of an electric fish barrier to prevent the migration of invasive fish into the lakes.
- We’ve helped to introduce Low Impact Development (LID) to the Lakes area by supporting the installation of an environmentally friendly parking lot in historic Arnold’s Park and partnering with the CWA to provide a year-long series of workshops on the benefits of this and other LID techniques.
To achieve our goals, the OPA uses a variety of methods, focusing on partnering with other, similarly minded organizations in the Lakes Area, providing education, and encouraging stewardship of our lakes. Please join us in our continuing efforts to protect the lakes.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Mel Berryhill /// Tom Batcheller /// Jim Keck
Aubrey LaFoy /// Joan Williams /// Orville Berg
Paula Henry /// Deidre Rosenboom /// Diana Jensen
Owen Primavera /// Mike Thoreson /// Paula Duncan
Harley Whitfield /// Steve Rose /// Peggy Luhring
Donna Buell /// Steve Carlson /// Andrea Waitt Carlton /// Richard Coffey /// Bob DeKock /// Tom Dunscombe /// Kate Ebinger /// Tom Hart /// Lou Hasenwinkel /// Margaret Lainson /// Herman Richter /// Barry Sackett /// Bill Sackett /// Kirk Stauss /// John Wills
Past Presidents: Barry Sackett, Jim Rosendahl, Steve Avery, Jim Cravens, Greg Drees, Joe Fitzgibbons, Brad Jones, Harry Meginnis, Barbara Mendenhall, Hank Miguel, Dick Montgomery, Phil Petersen, Jane Shuttleworth, Paul Sieh, Ned Stockdale, John Synhorst, Judy Thoreson
THE OPA IS COMPOSED OF VOLUNTEERS DEDICATED TO PRESERVING THE LAKES FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS. PLEASE JOIN US.
Regular annual membership in the Okoboji Protective Association is $35.00. Membership entitles you to receive all OPA mailings, attend the annual OPA meeting, and network with environmentally aware residents of the Iowa Great Lakes area like yourself.